I’m looking at my laundry piled on the floor, mud in my dinning room and a trail of cereal from the kitchen to the living room.
I’m frazzled. I’m lost. I’m trapped. At this time of uncertainty, at this time when all I have is time. I worry. I worry that my children aren’t getting their school work done. I worry that my friends and loved ones need me. I worry that this mess I am in, this chaos I feel, is seeping out into my family.
And then it hits me. Being present doesn’t mean checking things off a list. Being present doesn’t mean being in proximity to someone. Being present doesn’t mean being perfect.
These kids of ours. They are so resilient. I worry that Regan is missing her friends. I worry that Baylor will fall behind in math. I worry that Henry is loving his time with dad and won’t need me.
Guys these are lies I am telling myself. And it needs to stop! Yes, my kids might fall behind in school but is that what is important?
All this worry, all this stress. Is that what I really want them to remember from this time? Heck no! I want them to feel peace and comfort and CONNECTION.
5 ways to be present
- Focus on sounds. I’m not even kidding, you are a Disney princess and you hear those birds! Live on a busy street? Listen to the sounds of the cars, a train, your neighbor’s lawn mower. Pick something and listen to it. Sit there and breathe it in!
- Right here right now. For a moment stop thinking about what’s for lunch, the to-do list, the pile of laundry. Get comfortable with right NOW. We can all stop preparing for the next thing. I give us permission!
- The power of 5 senses. Find 5 things to bring yourself back to the present. When you find yourself spiraling find something to focus on for each of the 5 senses. What do you SEE? What do you HEAR? What can you Touch? What can you SMELL? What can you TASTE?
- Get it out of your mind. There are so many things we were doing before this “pause” if you will. We had jobs, we had structure, we had business. That is what our mind is used to. But that’s not what we need right now. Yes, life still goes on and we need to work and live and breathe. But all those to-do lists, all those things you just cannot do right now. Acknowledge their presence in your mind and then let them go!
- Sit. Sit with your kids. Sit with your husband. Sit outside and soak in the sun.
This time is going to pass. We’re going to get back to our day to day. The mundane. The everyday. What do you want to take from this pause? What about your life do you want to make changes to?
Presence or awareness is always something we can use more of. Let’s practice now so when that life returns we are more aware.
Our minds are able to go beyond the walls of your home. It’s able to wander outside of your present situation. And let me tell you your body is jealous! Mindfulness is the ability to bring your mind back to your body, back to the present, back to focus.
I want you to know I am right there with you! I am feeling all the feels and I am struggling to bring that attention back to the present. Let us all work on this together!
SIMPLY BE PRESENT BUNDLE
Looking for more ways to connect? Not sure what it looks like during this time of uncertainty? I got you!
I’ve bundled some of my favorite courses to help us get through this time together.